Five Things to Start Your Day: Feb. 20
A few facts, figures and tidbits to start your Wednesday.
Wednesday: Clearing and chilly. Highs in the mid 30s Windy again---northwest wind 15-25mph
Thursday: Sun & clouds. Highs in the mid 30s.
Friday: Sunny. Nice. Highs in the low 40s.
2. DROP-IN COMPUTER HELP: Need help downloading library books to an e-reader? Creating a document or attaching it to an email? Acton Memorial Library reference librarian Annie Glater can help with common situations. Lessons begin at 2 p.m. and are free of charge.
3. ANIMAL TRACKING PROGRAM: Following an animal’s tracks can teach us a lot about which animals live in our woods and their behavior over the past few days. Come for a walk with Laura Mattei, SVT Director of Stewardship at Wolbach Farm.
Starting indoors the group will learn tracking basics. The outdoor portion will be spent walking on and off trail at Wolbach Farm searching for tracks and signs of wildlife residents, including deer, fisher, coyote, red fox, gray fox, turkeys and others. Please wear extra warm clothing, as tracking requires a lot of standing around and observing, NOT a lot of walking.
At the end we will gather back inside for hot chocolate and cookies. This program is geared to families with children, grades 1-5.
Members: free; non-members, $10 per person; maximum: $20 per family.
4. WHAT TO CELEBRATE TODAY: Today is Love Your Pet Day. Love Your Pet Day is day to pamper your pet. People just love their pets, and today is an easy excuse to spend time with them, and to give them special treats. Whether its a dog, a cat, a fish, a pet snake, or your pet rock ... give them lots of love and attention today.
- 1792 — President George Washington signed the Post Office Act, establishing a permanent Post Office Department.
- 1809 — The Supreme Court ruled the power of the federal government is greater than that of any individual state.
- 1895 — Frederick Douglass, abolitionist, author, and orator, died.
- 1962 — John Glenn became the first American to orbit Earth.
- 1998 — Tara Lipinski won the Olympic figure skating gold medal.
- 2003 — A fire in a nightclub in Warwick, R.I., killed 100 and injured over 150.