Five Things to Start Your Day: Nov. 12
A few facts, figures and tidbits to start your workweek.
Monday: Wow! Nice with more sun than clouds. Mid to upper 60s.
Tuesday: Mild with showers rolling in by afternoon/evening. Near 60.
Wednesday: Cooler. Mostly sunny. Low 50s.
2. TODAY IS VETERANS DAY: Nov. 11 (the legal public holiday for Veterans Day), falls on a Sunday. For most Federal employees, Nov. 12 will be treated as a holiday for pay and leave purposes. (See section 3(a) of Executive order 11582, February 11, 1971.)
3. HELP HURRICANE SANDY VICTIMS: The FieldHouse in Sudbury is collecting donations for Hurricane Sandy victims.
- Non-perishable food
- New or lightly worn clothing, especially:
- Personal Care Items, such as:
- Baby Wipes & Diapers
- Feminine Products
There will be drop-off boxes at The FieldHouse all week.
4. VETERANS AID AND ATTENDANCE BENEFIT: Are you a Veteran or the spouse of a Veteran? Wartime Veterans or their surviving spouses may be eligible for significant income from the Department of Veterans Affairs. Please join us at 6:30 p.m. for this informative presentation. The Inn at Robbins Brook, 10 Devon Drive, Acton. Please RSVP to reserve a seat at 978-264-4666, firstname.lastname@example.org.
5. THIS DAY IN HISTORY: 1933 - 1st known photo of Loch Ness monster (or whatever) is taken; 1970 - Scientists perform 1st artificial synthesis of a live cell; 1979 - US halts Iranian oil imports & freezes Iranian assets; 1986 - Roger Clemens wins AL Cy Young Award unanimously; 1991 - Atlanta Brave Tom Glavine wins NL Cy Young Award; 1997 - Pedro Martinez wins NL Cy Young Award; 2001 - In New York City, American Airlines Flight 587, an Airbus A300 on its way to the Dominican Republic, crashes minutes after takeoff from John F. Kennedy International Airport, killing all 260 on board and five on the ground.