Five Things to Start Your Day: Oct. 11
A few facts, figures and tidbits to start your Thursday.
1. FORECAST: Today — Sunny, with a high near 60. West wind 8 to 17 mph; Tonight — Increasing clouds, with a low around 41. Southwest wind 5 to 8 mph.
2. CELEBRATIONS: Today is National Coming Out Day (NCOD), an internationally observed civil awareness day celebrating individuals who publicly identify as bisexual, gay, lesbian, transgender — coming out regarding one's sexual orientation and/or gender identity being akin to a cultural rite of passage for LGBT people. The holiday is observed annually by members of the LGBT community on Oct. 11.
3. GET BREAKING NEWS IN YOUR INBOX: Don't miss out when news breaks in your town. Sign up for our breaking news newsletter, which is delivered to your inbox. Sudbury residents can sign up here; Acton residents here.
4. THIS DAY IN HISTORY: 1986 — Reagan and Gorbachev open talks at a summit in Iceland; 1987 — 200,000 gays march for civil rights in Washington; 1990 — Oil hits a record $40.42 per barrel; 1991 — Anita Hill testifies Clarence Thomas sexually harrased her.
5. BORN TODAY:1884 – Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States and humanitarian (d. 1962);1946 – Daryl Hall, American rock singer;1961 – Steve Young, American football player;1962 – Joan Cusack, American actress and comedian; 1965 – Luke Perry, American actor.