Five Things to Start Your Day: Oct. 24
A few facts, figures and tidbits to start your Wednesday.
1. FORECAST: Today — Partly sunny, with a high near 60; Tonight — Mostly cloudy, with a low around 44.
2. EYE ON THE TROPICS: Tropical Storm Sandy is expected to reach hurricane strength as it churns through the Carribbean. There is still a possibility the storm will affect the East Coast either late this weekend or early next week.
3. CELEBRATIONS TODAY: Oct. 24 is United Nations Day. This year, UN Day, ]marks the 67th anniversary of when the United Nations Charter went into effect. This year, UNA-USA is commemorating this special day with more than 170 events around the country hosted by 100 communities in 33 states, the District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico.
4. WANT TO BE MENTIONED IN OUR BUSINESS SPOTLIGHTS?: Every Monday and Wednesday this Patch site highlights two businesses. One for Rate this Business, and the other for Business of the Week. If you would like to have your business mentioned during one of these days, email Editor Robert Fucci with your request.
5. THIS DAY IN HISTORY: 1861 - 1st transcontinental telegram sent ending Pony Express; 1901 - 1st woman to go over Niagara Falls in a barrel (Anna Taylor); 1904 - 1st NY subway opens; 1926 - Harry Houdini's last performance, which was at the Garrick Theatre in Detroit, Michigan.
1929 - "Black Thursday," start of stock market crash, Dow Jones down 12.8 percent; 1931 - Gangster Al Capone is sentenced to 11 years for tax evasion; 1940 - 40 hour work week goes into effect (Fair Labor Standards of 1938).