Five Things to Start Your Day: Oct. 26
A few facts, figures and tidbits to end your workweek.
1. FORECAST: Today — Early clouds break for partly to mostly sunny skies. Warmer! Mid to upper 60s. Could near 70 away from the coast if the sea breeze stays light; Tomorrow — Mid 60s with clouds and sun. Maybe a shower well west, but mostly a dry day.
2. SPOOKY TIMES AHEAD: Halloween is just a few days away, but there are some frightfully fun events going on this weekend:
- Acton Family Network's 17th Annual Spooktacular Halloween Party
- Sudbury Halloween 5K & 1-Mile Fun Run/Senior Stride
- Aruna's Place Haunted House
3. SANDY UPDATE: According to WHDH meteorologist Chris Lambert, most computer models are still showing the storm turning toward the East Coast, with a landfall Monday or Tuesday. By then it could its tropical characteristics and become a powerful Nor'easter.
4. PARTY TIME FOR PUMPKINS: Today is National Pumpkin Day. Did you know that the word “pumpkin” comes from the Greek word “pepon,” meaning "large melon?" Pumpkins can be grown on every continent except Antarctica, and the United States produces about 1.5 billion pounds of them each year.
5. THIS DAY IN HISTORY: 1825 - Erie Canal between Hudson River & Lake Erie opened; 1951 - Rocky Marciano defeats Joe Louis at Madison Square Garden; 1962 - JFK warns Russia US will not allow Soviet missiles to remain in Cuba ... Nikita Khrushchev sends note to JFK offering to withdraw his missiles from Cuba if US closed its bases in Turkey, offer is rejected; 1964 - Rolling Stones appear on Ed Sullivan Show; 1973 - President Nixon released 1st White House tapes on Watergate scandal; 2001 - The United States passes the USA PATRIOT Act into law.