Five Things to Start Your Day: Oct. 8
A few facts, figures and tidbits to start your work week.
1. FORECAST: Today — Sunny, with a high near 57; Tonight — Partly cloudy, with a low around 39.
2. WHAT'S OPEN/CLOSED ON COLUMBUS DAY:
- Retail stores: Open at owner’s discretion.
- Liquor stores: Open.
- Supermarkets: Open.
- Convenience stores: Open.
- Taverns, bars: Open.
- Banks: Closed.
- Stock market: Open.
- Municipal, state, federal offices: Closed.
- Mail: Post offices closed; express delivery only.
3. DID YOU KNOW?: In many parts of the United States, Columbus Day has evolved into a celebration of Italian-American heritage. Local groups host parades and street fairs featuring colorful costumes, music and Italian food. In cities and towns that use the day to honor indigenous peoples, activities include pow-wows, traditional dance and lessons about Native American culture.
- Christopher Columbus was born in Genoa, Italy in 1451.
- He wanted to find a trade route to get to India and China because land travel was risky.
- After King Henry of Portugal declined his request for ships and sailors to discover the way to the Indies, he approached Queen Isabella and King Ferdinand of Spain.
- Columbus set sail with three ships: the Nina, the Pinta, and the Santa Maria and ninety sailors on August 3rd, 1492.
- They stopped for supplies on the Canary Islands and left on September 6.
- On October 12, they landed in Haiti.
- He thought he was in the Indies and called the natives Indians. He named the island San Salvador and claimed it for the King and Queen of Spain.
- He returned with two ships to Spain, leaving some sailors on the island.
- He then returned to the island with 17 ships and 1500 men. He then sailed to other islands including, Honduras, Venezuela, and Panama. It is believed that he also reached the coast of Florida, although this fact is sometimes disputed.
- He died in Spain in 1506.
5. PATCH UPDATES IN YOUR INBOX: Did you know you can receive daily, weekend and breaking news bulletins in your inbox? If you live in Sudbury, learn how by clicking here. If you live in Acton, click here.