Five Things to Start Your Day: Sept. 18
A few tidbits to help start your day.
1. FORECAST: Today — Showers likely, mainly after noon. Increasing clouds, with a high near 72; Tonight — Showers, with thunderstorms also possible after midnight. Patchy fog between 7-8 p.m. Low around 60. Breezy, with a south wind 17 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 38 mph. New rainfall amounts between 1 and 2 inches possible.
2. HEALTH: Head on over to Congregation Beth Elohim in Acton at 9 a.m. for an adult fitness class that uses stretch bands and hand weights for a great workout. Instructor Sean Denmark has taught fitness for 30 years and was the Acton-Boxborogh High School Fitness Center supervisor. Cost is $10.
3. SEASONAL: The start of fall is just a few days away, but apple-picking season has started. Here are a few farms close by: Honey Pot Hill Orchard; Shelburne Farm; Bolton Orchards; Belkin Family Lookout Farm.
4. THIS DAY IN HISTORY: 1977 – Voyager I takes first photograph of the Earth and the Moon together;1997 – United States media magnate Ted Turner donates $1 billion to the United Nations; 2001 – First mailing of anthrax letters from Trenton, N.J in the 2001 anthrax attacks.
5. BORN TODAY: 1958 – Joan Walsh, American writer;1959 – Ryne Sandberg, American baseball player;1964 – Holly Robinson Peete, American actress;1971 – Lance Armstrong, American cyclist; 1971 – Jada Pinkett Smith, American model and actress.