Invite a friend
Celebrate 100 Years of Acton Drinking Water
The Water Supply District of Acton is celebrating its 100th Anniversary on Saturday, May 5th. In honor of this milestone and to celebrate National Drinking Water Week, the Water District has planned outreach and education events in the morning and afternoon.
The morning session will be at the Acton Memorial Library from 10 am to noon and will consist of two panel discussions and the presentation of the Distinguished Steward of Acton Water award. The first panel will include leading water resource professionals, all who are living in Acton, discussing the challenges and opportunities facing Acton’s water resources. This panel will be followed by founding members of the Acton-Boxborough Regional High School Green Council discussing water issues from their generation’s perspective.
The afternoon session will be an open house from noon to 3 pm at the North Acton Water Treatment Plant with treatment facility tours, lunch, giveaways and educational displays. These events are free and open to all Acton residents and their families.
The Water District and its partners will have information and displays on water conservation, water-efficient lawn care and landscape design, WaterSense labeled toilets, a groundwater model, and how water gets to each home. There will also be rain barrels for sale (pick up on May 24th), information on water quality and groundwater protection efforts, water conservation giveaways, and tours of the filtration plant. Balloons, activity sheets, and stickers will be available for children.
Lunch will be served from noon to 1:30; there will also be a door-prize drawing for those who attend.
The Water District is an independent municipal government that is chartered to supply water to the Town of Acton. It was established on April 16, 1912 as the West and South Water Supply District of Acton. It currently operates 22 wells, six water treatment facilities, four storage tanks, and maintains over 120 miles of water mains. It is governed by three elected Water Commissioners, an elected Moderator, and an appointed Finance Committee.
The Acton Memorial Library is located at 486 Main Street and the North Acton Water Treatment Plant is located at 960 Main Street. Parking for the open house is at Methods Machine Tools, 976 Main Street.
For additional information on the Water District and to RSVP to the open house, please visit www.actonwater.com.
More About Acton Memorial Library
Located next to the Town Hall, the Acton Memorial Library was given to the town in 1890 by William Allan Wilde, in honor of the Civil War Veterans. The library offers computers, free wireless access, and 132,000 books, 20,000 audiovisual materials, and 220 periodical catalogs.
Other events here
- Isaac Davis Toastmasters Club Meeting January 14, 2013 / January 28, 2013 / February 11, 2013 / February 25, 2013 / March 11, 2013 / March 25, 2013 / April 8, 2013 / April 22, 2013 / May 13, 2013 / May 20, 2013 / June 10, 2013 / June 24, 2013 / July 15, 2013 / July 29, 2013 / August 12, 2013 / August 26, 2013, 7:15 pm–8:45 pm
- Email Class Tomorrow, May 21, 3:00 pm–4:00 pm
- The Great Book Discussion September 18, 2012 / October 16, 2012 / November 20, 2012 / January 15, 2013 / February 19, 2013 / March 19, 2013 / April 16, 2013 / May 21, 2013 / June 18, 2013, 7:30 pm–8:45 pm
- Word Class Wed, May 29, 3:00 pm–4:00 pm
- Friends of the Acton Libraries Book Sale Sat, Jun 1, 9:00 am–4:00 pm
- Drop-in Computer Help June 12, 2013 / July 17, 2013, 3:00 pm–4:00 pm
- Beginner's Guide to Streaming Digital Music Thu, Jun 20, 7:00 pm–8:00 pm
- Microsoft Word Basics Wed, Jul 10, 3:00 pm–4:00 pm