1. 12th annual Martin Luther King Jr. Breakfast: At 9 a.m. this Monday, Jan 20, the Acton No Place for Hate Committee will host its annual Martin Luther King Jr. Breakfast for Acton students at Congregation Beth Elohim. Keynote speaker will be Yousef Bashir, a Palestinian Arab Muslim from Gaza who is currently working toward a master’s degree in conflict and coexistence at Brandeis University and who, in 2004, was saved by Israeli doctors after being shot by an Israeli soldier's M-16 bullet, which is still lodged in his spine. Get the details here.
2. Monday's MLK Day: Which means schools, government officers, banks, the stock market and postal service will be closed, but supermarkets, retailers, private employers, liquor stores are open.
3. Learn About Land Use with Acton's 2020 Committee: At 7:30 p.m. this Wednesday, Jan. 22 at Acton Town Hall, the 2020 Committee will hear about land use, specifically the Transfer of Development Rights from Julie Conroy, senior environmental planner for the Metropolitan Area Planning Council (MAPC). Get the details here.
4. Public Meetings Preview: According to the town website, here's the week's lineup of public meetings:
- Monday, Jan. 20: MLK Day
- Tuesday, Jan. 21: the Cemetery Commissioners at 3 p.m., the Commission on Disabilities at 9:30 a.m. and the Planning Board at 7:30 p.m.,
- Wednesday, Jan. 22: Acton's 2020 Committee at 7 p.m.
- Thursday, Jan. 23: Acton Leadership Group at 5:30 p.m. and the Finance Committee Subcommittee on Reserves Disposition at 7:30 p.m.
- Friday, Jan. 24: the Open Space Committee at 7:30 a.m.